History: Martyrs' Church

1685

THE PAISLEY MARTYRS’
James Algie and John Parkwere hanged at the Market Cross in Paisley for failing to take the oath laid down in the Test Act acknowledging the King’s supremacy in all matters, both civil and religious. A Monument in memory of the two Martyrs was erected by public subscription on 3rd.October,1685 at Woodside. The Monument, which can be visited to-day, is situated to the right of the access road to Woodside Cemetery some 800 yards west of this site.

1835

Martyrs' Church was built on the site at Woodside.

1834/1979

Throughout this period Martyrs' Parish Church continued to provide the Christian Ordinances within the Church of Scotland.

1843

The disruption within the Church caused by the effect of the Patronage Act of 1712 which precluded the right of Congregations to appoint their own minister.

1848

Free Martyrs' Church was built and opened on 2nd.June,1848 on the current King Street site.

1900

Martyrs' United Free Church reflected the union of the United Presbyterian Church with the Free Church.

1929

Martyrs' Memoriol Church honoured the re-union of the United Free Church within the Church of Scotland on the passing of an Act of Parliament in 1921 which recognised the right of the Church of Scotland to adopt Declaratory Articles ensuring the Church’s freedom in matters affecting its own spiritual life and work.

1979

MARTYRS` CHURCH
On 19th.September,1979 the congregations of Martyrs' Parish Church and Martyrs' Memorial Church united on the current King Street site as the place of worship and witness to our Lord Jesus Christ. This union completed a cycle of 144 years of change and challenging Church history, of immense political and economic change, of two World Wars, of great scientific advances in modern technology, in medicine and space exploration. Yet, throughout this period of history, men and women, continued to worship and acknowledge Christ as their Lord. May their Christian commitment in the past be our inspiration for the future.